Planning, concept and design of the staged upgrade of the intersection of Woolcock and Pilkington Streets in Townsville. This intersection conveys in order of 50,000vpd.
Department of Transport and Main Roads (Northern District)
Brett Whitbread (Project Manager) – 0477 746 276
Ross Percival (Project Engineer) – 0409 897 782
$15 million in 2 Stages (Early Works and RCC Contract)
- Pavement Design: Up to 800mm of asphalt was used to correct the existing roundabout cross falls and ensure that the minimum cover requirements on existing services was not compromised in addition to integrating the required pavement widening
- Staged Design: an interim solution was provided that requires minimal works to enable the intersection to be upgrade to ultimate
- Traffic movements: design accommodated the large number of right hand turning movements through the intersection
- Safe movement: the provision of pedestrians and cyclists through the intersection.
- Existing Services and Relocations: there were a significant number of services through this site with relocations required, including Ergon HV, Telstra, and Council infrastructure including an AC water main and optic fibre cables.
- Drainage: the existing detention basin was modified to accommodate the required widening works and retrofitted with bored piles and panel wall and gabion walls as well as culverting an existing open drain