Concept design, business case, preliminary
design and documentation of the 4.2km
upgrade of the north side of the Cardwell
Range on the Bruce Highway.
QLD Department of Transport and Main Roads
Project Cost approx. $165 million
Project achievements :
- Highway design using extended design domain criteria.
- Significant geotechnical treatment including soil nailing, face stabilization and retained fills.
- Design catered for benched cuts up to 24m in depth.
- Highly variable ground conditions from deep topsoils to weathered rock with clay seams and hard unrippable materials.
- High water tables.
- High environmental values – drove need to minimise footprint
- Fills were engineered with RSS walls and concrete panels, soil nailing, combined rock fill under RSS walls. Fill heights up to 25m.
- Major bridges including 180m long viaduct and 50m long rail overpass.
- Internal drop structures and outlets through RSS walls.
- Velocity control structures on inlets and outlets.
- Complex environmental constraints with sensitive environmental receptors.
- Water quality control.
- Major roadside rehabilitation works and ecosystem reinstatement.Detailed development of ESCP treatments incorporating revegetation.
- EPBC referral with “not controlled action” approval.